Monday 29 February 2016

Why Do You Gym? - Why Wouldn't You?



So very often I get the line 'Why do you go to the gym, it's a waste of money and time?', 'You don't need to...you're gluten free, so you will always be skinny'. 

The last quote is something that really bugs me. I am not slim because I am a coelaic. Not at all. I can't eat certain things...yes but that doesn't mean you have a free pass to eat all the gluten free junk food you like (because you can still get gluten free junk food for all the ignorant people out there). 

And anyway, being skinny is not the point. 
Neither is the fact that I have to follow gluten free diet. I don't have a choice. 

I go to the gym to feel good. Not only about my body (of course it helps) but also to clear my mind. 

I can't even imagine being the person I was before I started really committing time to the gym. I was moody (don't get me wrong...I still can be...), tired all the time (I couldn't even get out of bed), down and low and had a very low perception of myself. 

At that time, I had a bit of a rubbish job, and worked long hours, and with that comes not eating properly, or sleeping properly. I turned my life around about a year ago. I started working my contracted hours, leaving work on time and making time to go to the gym. 

It sounds ever so cliché, but going to the gym, committing time to myself 3-4 times a week is my sanctuary. I clear my mind, I think of nothing but what weight dumbbell I am going to pick up next. 
The most important part of the above sentence is committing time for me. 

Sometimes in life we feel we have to do things for everyone else and we forget our own needs. As selfish as it seems, I like those 4 hours a week where I have no signal on my phone, and it's just me, my water bottle, weights and trainers. 

So for those of you that pre judge those that do something for themselves, don't. 

I don't go to the gym to lose weight, burn as many calories as possible or remain 'skinny'. 
I do it for me. Because I enjoy it. 




Why don't you go and do something just because you want to. some much needed 'you' time from the hectic occurrence we call life. 

T :) x

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like your relationship with the gym is a mutually beneficial one, don't let ignorant people ruin it for you. When will others realise that fitness is about so much more than weigh loss?!

    ReplyDelete